“I don’t have time” seems to be a common obstacle to eating healthy – and enjoying food that taste good! I have a family of relatively picky eaters and so exotic, trendy foods can frankly be a waste of time and money around my house. Go figure!
Therefore, I’m always seeking for recipes that my family will enjoy and that I can manage with my busy schedule. It’s rare that I have more than 30 minutes to dedicate to preparing and cooking a wholesome meal for my family. Thus, I love crockpot meals! Quick, easy to prepare and ready to eat when I come home from a long day.
Asian lettuce wraps are a family favorite! I’ve experimented with a couple that are fairly simple to prepare on the stove. However, that can sometimes take more time and effort than I have at the end of the day. Therefore, I’ve combined a few ideas from other recipes and developed this concoction that includes simple ingredients yet delivers a flavorful punch! My favorite part is that I can toss lots of colorful and nutritious veggies (red bell peppers, carrots and spinach) and no one seems to notice – most notably the spinach cooks down quite a bit.
In less than 10 minutes, your meal is in the cooker. Simply heat up turkey, onions and garlic and toss in your slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients, cover and heat for 3 to 4 hours.
Make a side of brown or your favorite rice and serve with romaine, iceberg or Bibb lettuce “cups” and wah lah, dinner is served!
Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper and/or 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 handfuls raw spinach leaves (I use about 1/2 of a 6 ounce bag. You can use as much or as little as you want)
- salt and pepper
- 1 can finely chopped water chestnuts
- Washed and dryed iceberg (1 to 2 heads), romaine or Bibb lettuce
- Cook ground turkey with chopped onion and garlic in a large skillet for about 5 to 6 minutes, or until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Drain off liquid and pour cooked mixture into 5 to 7 quart slow cooker.
- Add bell pepper, Hoisin sauce, soy sauce, spinach leaves, salt, pepper and carrots (or any other desired vegetables)
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 hours. If you are able to stir intermittently, it could hold even longer, if necessary. Stir in water chestnuts in the last 1/2 hour of cooking. This is usually when I’m cooking my rice, separating and cleaning the lettuce leaves and setting the table.
- Scoop mixture into lettuce cups, serve with rice and enjoy!
Makes great leftovers! Serve over rice and with a side salad or fruit.